Drugs and Alcohol Policy
Drugs and alcohol policy
Noah’s Ark Pre-school is an area where smoking is prohibited.
Statement of Intent
Our pre-school must be a safe and secure environment for the children in our care.
The safety of the children is of paramount importance at all times. Anybody working with the children must be capable of taking responsibility for the children. A member of staff who appears to be unfit for work will be asked to leave the pre-school environment. No alcohol or non-prescribed drugs will be brought to the premises.
- Alcohol and non-prescribed drugs will not be permitted on the premises.
- Prescribed drugs required by staff must be kept in a locked cupboard and away from the children at all times.
- Prescribed drugs, including inhalers, required by the children, should be clearly labelled and only administered by staff with written instructions and permission from the parents/carers. These medicines will be stored appropriately, and out of reach of the children at all times.
- Any abuse of drugs, alcohol or solvents will not be tolerated.
- If a member of staff arrives at pre-school under the influence of alcohol or non prescribed drugs and, in the opinion of the leader or deputy, is unfit for work, s/he will be asked to leave the pre-school immediately.
- There is to be no alarm caused to the children, and at no time should the unfit person be responsible for any child.
- The member of staff will be considered unfit for work, and the missed session will be classed as sick leave.
- Before the member of staff returns to work there must be a meeting of the Management committee to discuss the events leading up to the incident, and consequently follow the appropriate disciplinary procedures.
We want our pre-school to be a happy, secure and safe environment for the children.
Any abuse of alcohol or drugs will not be tolerated, and any person who appears to have misused any substance will be required to leave the premises.
If it’s our reasonably held belief that a parent is considered to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, we will evaluate the implications for the child and will safeguard them at all times. The Children Act 1989 states that ‘children should be safe and protected by effective intervention if they are in danger’.
This may mean we will keep the child with us until either we can either contact a suitable second named contact to come and collect the child or if this is not possible we will have to contact Social Care
In doing so we aim only to safeguard and protect the child concerned.
Registered Charity 1038628
|This policy was adopted by||Noah’s Ark Pre school||(name of provider)|
|Date to be reviewed||29.08.20||(date)|
|Signed on behalf of the provider|
|Name of signatory||Samantha Greenhow|
|Role of signatory (e.g. chair, director or owner)||Manager|